Saturday, December 17, 2011

Trends bend the society



Trend, it is that messed (I didn’t really want to use mess, but the other 4 letter word being offensive!) up thing, that makes people lose their identity and makes them run towards an eternal craze to catch up with the world. It is like the one last train we would never want to miss. Everything we do, including the one I’m involved right now-blogging, is a trend.

There was this bunch of school kids, with their hands holding out placards that read “Wear HELMETS for your own safety”. Not many notice them standing, with the whole of the traffic concentrating on somehow crossing the junction before the signal goes red. I, riding a cycle, cross them and with a lot of time to read the placards, I turn my head. All of them start smiling, including me, at the fact that it was not of much relevance to me and I was one of the few who read that.

I saw in here, a bitter result that bad trends set. Breaking the rules is considered a cool thing to do. Ignorance is considered bliss. A trend set by most of the teen movies around. People forget to understand that what might look cool on screen may not be so in reality. Wearing a helmet would be just a one-time investment of 700 rupees, but not wearing one might even cost us our lives. 90% of the deaths of bikers are due to head injuries. The fact stays of their heads.

Someone told me that the Godfather-part III is not as good as the first two in the trilogy. And here I am, yet to watch it. I went by a trend that says IMDB ratings tell you about a movie. Of course, I myself have realized over time that the ratings are not accurate and that they just give you an overview of what a lot of people who vote feel about the movie.

I am not saying we should completely stop from being stereotypes. If we start looking around, from everything we touch to what we think to what we live into is because of some trend we flow with. Undoing what we did to ourselves will only ultimately end with we standing naked, considering the fact that wearing clothes once began as a trend a long, long time ago. What I’m really trying to say is that we need to follow the world around, to a certain limit and build the rest of our personality with a lot of uniqueness to it. Going by just the trend blindly is a fooling act. Trend-setters are never trend-followers!

Outside this trendy world lies forgotten happiness that people once enjoyed like a bicycle ride savoring the slow-paced view around.

Few links that you might  like to read on human behavior with changes in trends:

No comments:

Post a Comment